So a couple weekends ago we extended the "Campfire Treat Challenge" to some of our friends. We got the firepit done in our backyard so we decided to try it out for the first time. We we were in charge of a dessert for Island Park the following week so we decided that we would invite friends over and get some good ideas for a little treat.

The rule was that it had to be really creative- they couldn't just bring smores. I think we got some pretty good ideas!
We did bananas on the fire:

I had never heard of it before until I searched online....it was on almost every site I looked at. You just take a banana and, while it is still in the peel, make a slice down the middle (don't go all the way through) and then fill it with either a little butter and brown sugar, or chocolate chips. I'm sure there are a lot of other things you can put in it - these were both really good. Then you just wrap it back up, put it on the hot coals for 3-5 min and then open up and just use a spoon or a fork and eat it right out of the peel. It was pretty tasty!
The Hines:

Did a yummy little...I really don't know what they called it, but my sister says it is somewhat like Eclairs. I didn't get a picture of these but they were really good too- You take a dowel (in the Hines case- a 2x4 split in half and then sanded down on the tip so you don't get slivers of wood in your food) and spray it with Pam. Then take crescent roll dough and wrap it around and on top of the dowel. The you just cook it over the fire like a marshmallow until it is cooked through and golden brown (doesn't take very long). Then just slide it off and you will have a little cup looking toasted roll and then you fill it with whatever you want. We had pie filling, chocolate syrup, and cool whip as options. Really good!
The Meudts:

Yes-these are the faces that cheated! :) They brought "Smores..... with a Twist".... they barely got away with that one! They had marshmallows but instead of graham crackers and chocolate, you put it in between Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. I was really full so I didn't try one of these but they looked delicious!
I did swipe a Peanut Butter Cup for later though. Mike said that they were really good- so I will have to try it again. Yum yum!
Our other friends couldn't come.... something about kids and a bed time or something.... boring! Look! Kinlee is in the back, (she kinda looks fake- like lawn decor) on the bench, in a bumbo - don't tell me kids have to sleep!
We had a ton of food though- so all was good.

After much deliberation- we decided the winner:
The Hines Family!!!!
We decided to make the Eclair thingies in island park. We put banana pudding, chocolate syrup and whip cream in them! YUM! Thank you for coming and bringing nummy yummy treats!
7 comments:
Really, you never had banana boats at girls camp. Total classic!!! Those roll thingys sound yummy. Have to try that sometime.
Sounds yummy! We should give that a try! We have a firepit in our backyard.
Yummmmm! I want to try the banana thing too! I love the ideas, we always do smores, which I LOVE but I am definitely going to give those treats a try!
Sounds delicious! We'll have to try that one.
And apparently, Myrna gave us the wrong date for the reunion. She told us it was NEXT weekend, Aug 28-30, and Brianne and I had already signed up for a triathlon this Saturday. Non-refundable. So it looks like we won't make it this year. I'm so bummed!
every thing sounds good. we want you to come up with some good thing for our cabin trip ok. love ya both mom
hahah okay well those of us "somebodies with babies had to sleep" are quite sad we didn't make it. really. It does look quite delicious and not very nutritious, so duh it's just the type of food/friend gathering that we love! anyway..... it does look like tons o' fun and maybe someday we can re-challange you to a firepit cookoff or a breakfast cookoff .. no, not breakfast...like, a dessert cookoff or something. it will be fun. don't miss it
YES!! I LOVE Winning! Not that I did much - it was mostly Brandt. I'm glad they worked out for you. Thanks for the invite - we had so much fun :)
Post a Comment