Monday, January 5, 2015

Quiet Book

For Christmas I wanted to make Ani a little quiet book for church. It turned out that I was really enjoying it and I found WAY too many ideas for a little book, so it is now a little novel. I even limited myself a lot. There are a lot of other pages that I want to do that I postponed so I will be doing those just for fun throughout the year.  After I gave it to her, we took it to church the next Sunday and I ended up taking it away from her. Haha! I decided she is not responsible enough for some of the pages. I didn't want them to get ruined. :) So I will have to take some of the pages out and then I think it will be good.

First, I made the cover so I could make the book big or small. I put grommets on all the pages and two sets on the outside (that was originally a mistake) so it is easy to put in and take out as I please and as she learns and grows. When I take out pages, I would use the other set of grommets so the book would be smaller.  I sewed a button on the closing strap, but it closes with Velcro. There are quite a few things that I would do different if I made another, but I think this was pretty cute for my first one.





Almost everything is top stitched. This took a lot longer, but I LOVE how big of a difference it made. It just looks finished. Some of the patterns were from a pattern set that I bought, some free-handed from ideas on Pinterest, and then the others I just made up. Everything is made of felt. It was easy to sew and work with and I love how it sticks to itself so I didn't have to Velcro everything, especially the little pieces.

Butterfly wings just fold up and flap. One of Ani's favorites and it was super simple.


Classic weaving.

Picking the apples off the tree.



Counting jellyfish beads.

Braid the tail of the zebra.

Just a texture one. Lion with lots of ribbon.

Brush the monkey's teeth. Ani LOVES brushing her teeth so she loves this one. Toothbrush is just attached to the top with Velcro and a ribbon so it doesn't get lost.


Teddy Bear zipper. There are clothes on the inside of the teddybear, but I need to redo them. They don't quite look like I want them to.

Snap fish bowl.

Owl family finger and hand puppets. Ani is obsessed with these little owls.

Button cupcake tops.

Counting the wheels.

Dress the snowman. The snowbank holds all the accessories.


Shapes and colors. The shape is just outlined behind it and attached with Velcro.


Sparkly button wallet. I will put a cheap little bead necklace and ring in there. Maybe some fake money.

Alien and rocketship. The rocket ship has Velcro and is attached with ribbon so it can blast off. Then the aliens are finger puppets.


Peek-a-boo mittens. Another favorite of Ani's.



1 comment:

Deserie said...

Wow, you did a great job Kaci! I love it! I wanted to make one when my kids were young but never got it done. I hope Ani will take good care of it!