Included in the invitation was a checklist of the things that they needed to bring: their favorite lipstick, their favorite fingernail polish color, PJ's, and any other little girl thing that they wanted to. I also included a reminder for them that Girls Rule and Boys Drool!
Mike said that boys are cool and don't need invitations to know that there is a party (a pretty lame excuse so he didn't have to make invitations). I did ask him to at least call the boys, he didn't want to do that either, but I finally just dialed Austin's (Scott and Katie's little boy) number and asked to speak with him. So Mike reluctantly got on the phone with him and told him to bring all of his cars and that there is going to be a boys party Friday night. Well.... lets just say that Austin does not have a very long attention span, but he loves to talk on the phone. He would not be quiet! Mike would tell him something and then he would go off on something else-which you can't really understand. I was crying I was laughing so hard! Mike finally told Austin (in between one of his conversations with himself - or maybe it was with Mike, we aren't really sure who he was talking to) that he was going to hang up and then he just hung up on him before Austin could start another conversation. :) It was great!!! Mike insisted on not calling any of the other boys; for one, he probably wouldn't understand what they were saying (like the Austin incident) and two, they would not understand why Mike was calling and get nothing out of the call (like the Austin incident). So I gave in and it was up to the boys to come themselves.
I set up with the parents to bring all the kids at 6:00 Friday night and gave them VERY SPECIFIC instructions to be there at the very latest 9:00 the next morning. Yes! That is right, you read correctly, the next morning! I decided to do a sleepover party, I must admit, this is one of my braver moments in life.
Friday night rolled around and the kids showed up exactly at 6 (seriously? Would it have really killed them to be late?) and I had pizza and pop (another brave thing) ready for dinner. After we ate, which was a lot faster than I anticipated even with Scottie eating like 6 pieces of pizza.
I realized that I had a LONG time before Mike was going to be home. What does one do with 4 pop-filled little girls, 4 pop-filled little boys, a dog (which I'm sure was given pop at some point that night), and 1 1/2 hours? A dance competition of course! :) HA HA HA! Now this is why I invite kids over! They are great!
During this dance competition I realized that one little girl was missing from the couch... this can only mean trouble. My mind quickly goes through the following questions:
1. Which little girl is missing?
2. Where is this little girl?
3. What did she get into?
4. What has she damage?
Now here are the rapidly fired answers in my head:
1. Yes... not suspicious at all- Scotlyn

2. After looking over and seeing little feet dangling off the bed- the guest bedroom
3. Out of all the little girl things that everyone brought, it just had to be- Purple fingernail polish

4. Don't worry, it only took me about 40 hrs to make- my new bedspread (which by the way, this is only ONE of the spots)
I walk into the living room and find one little boy teasing the girls, one little boy still break dancing, a little boy upset because he didn't get to choose the song that Austin break dances to, another little boy trying to change the song that is playing on the computer, a little girl yelling at the little boy to stop teasing her, another little girl pulling everything out of her purse, and another little girl trying to pocket a lip gloss for later.....I didn't even know where to start....
Then the heavens opened and an angel appeared....
While we were doing all of this, the "Boy Party" was racing remote control cars (from the dollar store- so I think only one of them was working and it was just going in circles- oh well, they didn't care).
Boy was I pooped! My plan was to keep the kids up SUPER late and get them as worn out as much as I possibly could and then turn on a movie and they would all fall asleep and be out for the rest of the night. Well.... it was about 8:45. I was soooooo tired! Seriously? You wouldn't think that watching 8 little kids would be that hard... okay I take that back, most people wouldn't dream about it, let alone willingly take 8 kids for a sleepover, but I didn't think it would be THAT tiring.
Next feat: BEDTIME
So the kids all brushed their teeth, and got into bed without any problems. Wow! That was not so hard, what are all these moms complaining about? Why was everyone telling me that a little girls slumber party "time to go to bed" time was not going to be fun? Easy as pie! All the boys except Austin were out withing 5 min. The girls weren't asleep yet but they were being good. I gave them all kisses and tucked them in and then Mike and I went to bed.
Are you kidding me? I totally should have knocked on wood.
Then all I hear for about 20 min.:
Austin: "Kaci, the girlz is talkin' and they aren't sleepin'!"
Kaci: "I know honey, it is okay, they will go to sleep in a min."
Austin: "Kaci, but theyrz is still talkin'"
Kaci: "Girls, go to sleep. Austin, you go to sleep too k buddy?"
Austin: "Okay"
Kaci: "Thank you bud"
Austin: "Uh huh."
....
Austin: "Kaci, the girlz is still talkin'- they didn't listen to you"
Kaci: "K- I'll talk to them, thanks bud"
Austin: "Uh huh" (I love the "uh huh" he said it probably 30 times that night whenever I told him thanks- like he knows he did something good).
This went off and on and then Austin finally fell asleep- the girls however were giggling for about 40-45 afterwards. About 6 different trips getting up and telling the girls to go to sleep so they wouldn't wake the boys, they finally were out. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... peace and quiet- ready for a good nights sleep!
Okay, honestly, how do people do this?
We finally got the little early riser back in bed after going potty and we went back to bed, except we couldn't sleep because we knew they would all be getting up soon. This is what it looked like about 20 min later:
Things that I learned:
- Little girls don't sleep very well with other little girls
- Kids eat a lot more pizza than you would ever think possible
- 7 o'clock is not early for children
- Little boys like to show off in front of little girls
- Not all little boys are good at standing up when they go potty.
21 comments:
You are one special soul. Looks like you guys had all kinds of fun though! They'll always remember their awesome Aunt Kaci and Uncle Mike, you'll be #1 on the list! :) Also, we can't move back, but she wouldn't forget you if YOU'D COME AND VISIT!!
Good Job kaci, I am sure they will always remember this. If I were Mike, I would of come home alot later than usual just to advoid the chaos, kids can suck the living eneergy out of you if your not thier parent. You should do this monthly for all the kids.... you know you will enjoy it too.
You are a brave woman Kaci!
That's so sweet of you guys to do! pretty sure we couldn't fit Ryan's 18 nieces and nephews in our house, but I still love the idea.
Wow, that was super ambitious! But it also sounds like a bunch of fun. I kind of envy the girl party. I don't know if I could take on 8 kids all at once! You are a far braver soul than I :)
You were crazy to do it, but Macie keeps talking about when you do it again - so don't think you are done with that tradition. So glad MY kids were the good ones, Scottie IS the devil!
The dance comp. sounds like fun - maybe that will be FHE next week for us.
Way to go Kaci, you guys are the favorites...
for now.
All I have to say is that our house was a lot more quiet that night than yours. Austin had a blast. You know who taught him all those moves right? Great job guys! Austin is always really good at getting other people in trouble. Sorry about that. I gets old really fast. Great job though - I know the kids had fun. Just remember that Koen will be there next time :)
I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. The videos were hilarious. I had no idea my grandsons were such great dancers. Wasn't a bit surprised to hear about the purple fingernail polish episode though. You are the greatest! There is no doubt about it! And when you have kids of your own, I'm sure the others will return the favor. Right guys??? Thanks for the super post!!! Mom
Man, did we ever miss out or what?! The party of the century just had to be when Carsen got his tonsils out...we'll be waiting by the phone for the details on when the next party will be!!! It was only a little chaotic because our kids weren't there to keep all the other ones in control, they would have totally been little angels...I'm sure of it...! You guys totally rock-your kids are going to love how fun their parents are! Where was Roxie through all of this?
That was pretty much the cutest post I have EVER seen!!! I was laughing out loud through most of it, I especially loved the break dancing, you calling bed to Roxy she just wanted to get in on the action, the arm wrestling (BUFF BOYS), the girly stuff, Wow woman you go all out!!!! That is such a cute idea, do you want to adopt Kaydence as your neice! They are so lucky to have you as their aunt. I laughed so hard when you showed that picture of Mike and the caption was "an angel appeared", I could see the light beaming behind him. WAY CUTE POST!
Kaci, you are the coolest aunt ever. I called Jordan after I read this and told her to read and learn from you. She basically shot me down and said you were crazy, HAHAHA. I love it like Nicole I was laughing out loud. You have some pretty funny neices and nephews too. Your awesome.
Not gonna lie... it prob won't be happening again... just my input.
That was the cutest thing ever! You are by far THE COOLEST aunt and uncle ever! And so brave too -what a cute idea :)
so adalynn and I both thought this was such a funny post....addy is also wondering when she gets to have a sleepover with all the other girls her age... maybe like next month?? ha
You are definately the COOLEST aunt ever! I've watched a couple nieces and nephews but NEVER 8! You are crazy...haha. It sounds like your party was a hit!
WOW!! You guys are so awesome. I don't know why we have been the most awful people not getting to know you!!! ha Office Thursday- Ill call you!
Sometimes when Katie leaves I tell Austin and Koen that it's time for a boy party. Austin gets pumped, "at Kaci's house?" He had a great time. We will work on arm wrestling and dancing skills before the nest one. Good work Kaci, I need a babysitter this weekend, what do you think?
Thanks for commenting on my page. But relief society pres? Sheesh, talk about responsibility, but I know that you are the woman for the job! Maybe its preparing you for primary! Ha ha, and what a great aunt you are! Ha ha what a cute party.
Wow Kaci! You are BRAVE! That takes a lot of patience. What a fun aunt you are. Those kids are very lucky. We miss you all.
You definately are the coolest aunt and uncle ever! Eventhough my daughter isn't REALLY your neice! That is the best. Do you know how to link your posts to someone's blog?? I still have so much to learn!
Oh my gosh - how fun is that? What a great Aunt and Uncle! Sounds like life is great Kaci - tell Mike hi. Wish we lived closer and could see you guys! Check out the pics of our new little girl! Almost a month old already - wow, we are all getting soooo old!
Post a Comment