Thursday, May 28, 2009

Diggin in the dirt

I have my gardens done! I love flower beds and gardens! I love working in the dirt (with gloves of course- I can't stand dirt under my fingernails!), planting things, and then watching it all grow! I think I got this from my mom- she is always working in the yard and taking care of her flowers. It is something that we both take a lot of pride in. Here is my front flower beds. I should have taken pictures right after I had planted everything because Mike trimmed the next day so now I have grass clippings in the beds....ugh! So, excuse the grass clippings and the glares.

This is my new favorite flower- it kinda closes and droops in the evening, but every day all the flowers open and it is gorgeous! I will have to get another picture of it in the daytime after I clean out all the grass clippings! :)

Now for my proudest moment! Mike and I have done our first vegetable garden! Mike built me some raised beds, then we stained the wood, and I planted all my veggies and fruits. Doesn't it look great? My mom was probably getting really sick of me calling every other day asking what else I should plant and when to plant and where and how much to water it- I just wanted everything to be perfect this year.
I did peas, tomatoes (growing up the trellis), marigolds to help with the bugs, green onions, yellow onions, a red bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, potatoes, garlic, watermelon, cantelope and lots of strawberries! YUM!!! I am going to make salsa this year, so hopefully all my veggies will actually produce something.

This isn't the best picture of the raised beds but all the others are facing the other way and we are working on that part of the lawn, hence all the dirt. We are doing a major project, but I didn't want to spoil the final outcome! Stay tuned!

10 comments:

Melonie Harris said...

fun fun!! I planted my garden a couple of weeks ago.. it is so exciting to see them coming up!!

Cristy said...

We have only planted tomatoes and artichokes, but I love looking everyday to see what has come. So far we have 4 cherry tomatoes growing and one huge one. The artichokes will not be ready to eat until next spring. LOL!

Ryan and Leah said...

Looks like you have been busy! Good for you! Hope they all do wonderful!

Deserie said...

WOW! You've been busy. We haven't even started our garden yet. We usually do tomatoes, and they always do well wherever we plant them. Our Strawberries are starting to bloom again from last year. Cool! Sounds like you will have quit the little garden this Summer! Love ya!

Scott and Kel said...

Good job Kac...hope it all grows, I'm sure it wouldn't if I was in charge. ha,ha

Erin said...

Nice garden boxes! I hope the strawberries are not next to the jalapenos - they might be spicy - yuck! Bring me some salsa when it is all done!

Sara said...

Good for you! I've always wanted to have a garden too, but have yet to have the chance. Your flower beds look nice and I love how you've stained your raised beds. Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

It looks great Kaci and Mike!!! I'm so proud that one of my little snookims is following my love for gardening. Way to go! Mom

Anonymous said...

You are a gardening fool! Is there anything you don't do! Seriously when I start gardening I'm coming to you, if I get motivated enough I keep on saying I'm going to do all these crafts like you but I never seem to do it. I need some of your ingenuity.

Chris said...

So how is the garden coming along after all this rain and little sun? My poor garden, im sure it's done for after all the moisture its taken!