Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Look at the Bright Side

So we are re-financing our house for a way better rate and are trying to close this Friday. We have lived here for just over 2 years and haven't done too many little projects. We had the big project with the bathroom, lots of outside projects and then a couple of things inside, like the kitchen painting and we replaced all the inside doors for nicer ones. Other than that, we haven't done too much. Well Mike calls me:

Mike: The appraiser called.

Me: Cool. What did he say?

Mike: In order for us to close when we want, he needs to come out and appraise the house.

Me: Crap- there is a lot to do...okay, well we can get the necessities done in a few of days.

Mike: He will be here in the morning.

Lovely! We have baseboards that aren't put in, painting that needs done, carpet, outlets, cover plates, and other little things that should be done before an appraiser comes. Luckily Mike has Mondays off so when I got home he had already done the entire kitchen, so that was one room marked off the list. We decided that we should just go room by room and get everything ready. So we ran to Walmart and got everything that we needed and went home to get started.

The Master Bedroom
My bedroom walls have been suffering for waaay too long. You know that painting project we started? Yup- never finished it. Couldn't decide on the color. Well, we have an appraiser coming in the morning- it needs to be finished. So we go and pick out a color that we will really like once our furniture is all done and we have the comforter that we want. So we start..... keep in mind we are in a very big hurry to make our ENTIRE house look great! We decide that we are in too big of a hurry to tape anything.... and we forgot to get plastic to cover the horrid (but clean) carpet....oh well- we'll be careful! This is me being super careful!

We put everything in the middle of the room and start. I pulled out my wedding dress a couple of days ago (I will have to post about that story later) so it was laying all nice and pretty on my bed. We started painting and I just kept looking at it and imagining the worst, so I set everything down and picked up my gorgeous dress and took it into the guest bedroom so it is safe and sound, just in case there was a freak accident.

So we go along and paint the whole bedroom, two coats, edges, along the carpet, ect... not a single drop on anything! No brown on the carpet, no brown on the trim, no brown on the ceiling- we did great with the help of a nice paint edger. AMAZING! IT'S DONE!! We clean everything up and take a break to go grab some dinner. We get back and everything is dry so we start to put everything back to how it should be in order to look "complete". While Mike installs the nice new light switches we bought, I finish putting things away.

Picture this: a step ladder with the gallon of paint that is about half full on it, extra brushes, stirring sticks, the paint can opener, a little tupperware and some paint samples. I'm in a big hurry to move on to the next room so I decide to just pick up the whole step stool (it's really light) and just move it to the laundry room so I can put it all away at once. So with my brilliant time saving idea, I pick it up and start walking up the steps to the entry way and .... well I ..... you see I just.... well while I was....I just can't write it- just look.....







Yeah- I'm sure you all saw it coming... well I didn't. I just stared... I didn't even know what to say. Mike turns around and says "You're kidding."

Yup! I'm kidding honey! :) What a funny little joke I just played on you......Love me?

I just started laughing.... mainly because I wanted to start crying. I was so shocked that it happened I didn't know what to do next. So Mike and I stared at it for a few seconds and then it clicks... maybe we should try to clean it up. Mike runs to grab rags... I hurry and grab the camera. I'm still laughing as we start to clean it up.... Mike, not so much. He says, "What would you be saying and doing right now if it was me that just did that?" .....oh...not so funny.

There was about 1/2 a gallon of paint left....the can is now empty. There was so much paint everywhere that we couldn't get it all before it started to set. We cleaned up as much as we could and scrubbed the carpet, then we evaluated the damages:

Of course the carpet:


The bedroom door- take a look at this picture again:
Alarm clock:
Microfleece blanket:
My leg (I like that color- I should tan):
The step ladder:Bed sheets:

Back of the night stand:
Electric cords (which, by the way, you shouldn't try to clean off while they covered in paint!.... trust me!....it hurts!)
Blanket covering bed:Basketball shorts (GO BRONCOS!!):

Hardwood floors:
Vacuum:
Fan:And (not noticed until this morning) Roxi:
...I don't think she found it very amusing... (It looks like a nasty flesh wound, but it's just paint).

Not too bad huh? Okay fine, if you are all going to laugh and make fun, next time I need something painted-I'll just call you.

I did realize after a little bit that I should count myself lucky due to the fact that I (THANKFULLY) moved my wedding dress. There is paint all over where it was laying... who would have thought?

I'm happy to report that after a few more hours of cleaning everything up and then working on other parts of the house, then taking some time off from work this morning, our house was cleaned and ready to go.... then the appraiser canceled the appt..... just kidding! That would really have made me mad! He came, he laughed when Mike told him why the carpet looked like someone didn't make it to the bathroom in time, he appraised and he left! All was well.

I mean really- look at the bright side:



NEW CARPET!!!!

13 comments:

Ryan and Leah said...

OH MY! I am glad it was you and not me! I am so sorry, but glad that you are able to laugh about it! Nice job!

Leah said...

WOW! I'm soo glad that we never had any catastrophes like that when we were painting. Oh, that is really sad! I feel for you!

Little Yancey Family said...

umm Wow! What to say? That sounds like something I would do. Absolutely aweful! I'm glad you can look on the bright side.

Erin said...

I would laugh too - I mean honestly, what else are you going to do? I'm not a fan of the color - want to re-paint?

headtotoephoto said...

oh man... that totally bites!!!!! you always wanted new carpet right???

Anonymous said...

Oh my heck I KNOW I would have started crying right then and there, you are a better woman than me. I try to laugh when things go wrong but in this case I wouldn't be able to. At least it's all over with and it really makes a great story!
I love how Roxi got some of it, poor girl, a victim of your carelessness ;)

keri said...

Seriously you should not be allowed to even think about projects like that. I hope the appraisal comes back at least as much as you paid for the house originally. :)

Sheila Fish said...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
That's all I have to say. ha. I mean, I'm sorry.. that truly is a tragedy. A hilarious tragedy.

Anonymous said...

OH my gosh! Yes I did get a great laugh out of that, but don't worry a similar thing happened to me. When we moved into our house we refinished the hardwood floors and before they were completely dry (the can did say you could walk on it after 4 hours) I let Taiton run around and he pulled up A LOT of the stain. And ryan too said "Are you kidding me?" So don't worry I do crap like that all time!

Anonymous said...

Oh man!! The pictures are worse than I imagined when you told me!! I about started crying too! But you are soooooo cool. I can't believe you could just laugh and then blog about it. Way to go Idaho. You're my hero!!! The truth is, you can always find something to laugh about, even in catastrophe and tragedy. Crying doesn't do any good, so you just as well laugh. You'll get a lot of mileage from this one for years to come. I love you MOM

Kevin n Amy Cederquist said...

Ok, so i would have cried, then laughed about it later...

Dani said...

That is the funniest/saddest thing I've heard all week! Wow, that is hilarious!! And so sad at the same time. Good thing you moved the dress!

Scott and Kel said...

Oh my, that totally sounds like something I would do, but I would not have been laughing and Scott would have let me HAVE it for sure! Glad you got it all done, now take a little break. When is your back yard going to be done and you have that BBQ we discussed--I'm gonna have this baby in 5 weeks you know???