Last Thursday we went up to Park City with our bestest friends Matt and Krystal. We rented an AWESOME condo and went snowboarding all day on Friday, shopping on Saturday and then went to Mike's nieces blessing. It was a great weekend!
The Condo....
We rented this awesome condo that is right next to the Tanger Outlet Mall. It was really nice. 2 bedroom, 2 baths, big kitchen, washer, dryer and a very comfy beds!
Snowboarding....
We ended up going to The Canyons and it was beautiful! The weather was perfect, overcast, and no wind at all. We took this little ride in a gondola up to the mountain and the mountains open up to these huge canyons. It was just a little scary.... but very pretty!


View from the top of one of the runs.

So here is the story of the first time Mike took me snowboarding.... We went up to Pebble (oh, about 3-4 years ago), bought a lift pass, it was freezing, the wind was blowing like crazy, and ice was hitting my face, it was just miserable. Mike was so sweet and patiently taught me.... well tried to teach me. We finally got down to the bottom of the bunny hill and then I saw the lift. It freaked me out, I didn't want to get on it.... not because I'm afraid of heights, or any sissy reason like that, I just was scared to get off of it....completely valid reason. So I turned to my Mike and with my big beautiful eyes, I convinced him to just hike back up the hill with me. He carried both snowboards and we went up to the parking lot and went home. Needless to say, Mike hasn't taken me snowboarding since.
This time was different though! I knew I had to totally redeem myself! So I got on the lift, Mike sitting close with his arm around me. My stomach was turning the entire way to the top anticipating the departure. We finally get there and Mike is giving me a quick lesson of what to do to get off.... didn't work. He basically pulled me off and then I knocked both of us down once off the lift.
Phew! It was over though. Now I could spend the rest of the day going down the mountain. Unfortunately, sliding down the mountain, especially with my new-found-skills did not take very long and before I knew it I was at the bottom of the hill and Mike was helping me make our way back to the lift to do it again. Are you kidding me? I was only planning on doing that once!
So I get on the lift and psych myself up to get off perfectly this next time. With Mike by my side, I stand up and slip and fall.... a little too soon this time.... the lift hits me in the back and pushes me the rest of the way..... not fun. Lots of falls, jammed wrists, and bruised tailbones, and a couple more lift rides later and I was ready to go back to the lodge.
Matt and Krystal went one more round and then came back and Krystal and I went to the lodge for a cup of hot cocoa and to let the boys actually enjoy themselves. :) Here they are, going up a very fast lift (I'm really glad I didn't go- that thing was seriously hauling).

The boys went up to the top of the hill on a double black diamond run.... apparently that is suppose to be pretty gnarly. This is a picture that they took from the top. Breathtaking huh?

Well Krystal and I waited for about an hour for the boys and they were a no show, so we decided that we didn't spend $50/ticket to sit in the lodge.... we were going to attempt to... wait for it.... brave the treacherous lift and snowboard down OURSELVES!!!

Can I just tell you, yeah we look all happy and tough there, but really we are scared little girls, taking this picture so when they found our bodies, they had proof that we were trying to be brave. We had no idea how to do this without completely hurting or embarrassing ourselves.... and we were right. We did fall.... wait backup... I'm going to say Krystal fell and totally messed up my concentration and I fell right after. I look behind me and Krystal is laying face down in the snow so the lift doesn't hit her and then looks up and her face is completely covered in snow. We army crawl out of the way while the lift man stops the lift.... laughing I might add.... There was a huge group of people at the top just laughing and complimenting us on our nice dismounting.
We laid there and laughed for a while until we had enough energy to finally put on our bindings by ourselves. Then we spend a good 5 minutes trying to stand up, then we finally scooted ourselves over to a bench and sat there for a few minutes to built up more energy.
FINALLY we started the descent. Krystal went on without me. I fell about 10 ft from where we started and it took me a good few minutes to get up again. I finally started down and made it all the way to where Krystal had fallen, laying there waiting for me. We got up and went the rest of the way down WITHOUT FALLING!!.... well kind of. As we are heading to the bottom, right in front of the lodge, I'm all happy and looking for Mike.... the "looking" was my first mistake. I'm getting to the bottom and right when I see Mike and Matt sitting there watching us come down, my toe edge catches and I face plant right in front of them. NICE!
We have time for one more run and the whole way up Mike told me how proud he was that I went by myself. He said that I even looked good coming down the mountain... that is until my face hit the snow. I blame the last dismounting mishap on Mike. He totally tripped me, otherwise I would have made it off the lift successfully at least one time! The lift guy at the top did compliment me that it was better than the last run though (yes, out of hundreds of people at the park that day, he remembered Krystal and I... it was that good!). :)
Bruised knees, a cut on one leg (fell on my binding and no.... I don't know how it happened), sore tailbone, strained ankles, jammed wrists and a compressed spinal cord, we were ready to go home. What a FUN DAY! I really did enjoy it! Thank you babe for being so sweet and patient with me. Someday I will be better, I promise! :)




We went back to the condo, had some taco soup and played cards. It was a great ending to the day. The next morning my muscles we so sore. Everything... my toes, butt, thighs, calves, shins, wrists, neck, back, forearms, and my biceps! The right bicep was by far the worse though! Mike had me get up by holding onto the bottom of my snowboard and pulling myself up.... well I did a lot of pulling without actually going anywhere... I think that is why the biceps took the blunt.
We lounged around, played games, went shopping in the outlet mall, spend lots of money, went to a movie, ate delicious white chili soup, and played more games. It was an awesome getaway!
Thanks for the great weekend Matt and Krystal! Lets make that a tradition! :)
3 comments:
That sounds like A TON of fun!! What an adventure.. you have convinced me to try snowboarding myself sometime.. maybe!
And that is why I'll never go snowboarding/skiing. You are a brave girl Kaci :)
I've only gone skiing once. It was quit the experience because my first time down was not a bunny hill. I kept falling down on purpose because I was so scared. Good job!
Post a Comment